Sunday, August 22, 2010

Craft Hope/Christmas Hat

This is something I have been wanting to do for a while. Craft Hope is an online organization that collects handmade goods for charity. Every few months they have a new project and this month is pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer. ConKerr Cancer is a volunteer group that makes fun, colorful pillowcases for sick children in the hospital. This is the first project I have tried with Craft hope and I am pretty excited!


These are the fabrics I picked out, enough for one boy pillowcase and one girl. I worked on this project a lot today, but I am not quite finished. I will have pictures of the finished products next post for sure. I am still getting moved into my new apartment, so I had to unpack my sewing machine and get my crafting area set up. 


Yes, that is an M&M alarm clock, which I found while unpacking! Hopefully it will help me keep track of the time when I am getting too involved in a project to remember to eat dinner! I also have a boom box, and had to check out the Baltimore radio stations today. After trying Christian Rock, Spanish music, and Heavy Metal, I found a Light Rock station, which was playing flashback to the 70's. I think I need to keep looking for the right station, but today it was the 70's. 


So Christmas is not for a while, and I am not one of those people who has their Christmas shopping done by September, but this is one idea I just had to try! Last year I spent WAY too much on gifts, and now with my new skills, I plan on making the gifts I give a little more personal, and a little more crocheted. I thought this design would be perfect for pictures of Bailey's first Christmas! Bear with me here, I am not a mom, nor do I have access to models or mannequins. I do, however, have my very own German collector doll, which I found at a thrift store. I call her Cordelia. She models my hats so that I have some idea if they would fit a child size head.


No, she does not have any clothes on. The dress that she came with is slightly horrendous and frilly. Perhaps that will be one of my future projects, a dress for Cordelia. Someday. Anyway, I think it turned out pretty great for my first attempt at a Santa hat! Maybe I will make one for me this year. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment