Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Crochet Slacker

Its been a couple days and I feel like I have been all over the place, getting things done. As far as crocheting, however, I have just been starting projects and not finishing them. Booooooo.


These are my works in progress. One is a partial hat, and the other is a surprise involving black triangles. I am feeling quite conflicted. On one hand, it is nice when presents are a surprise. On the other, I love sharing my projects on here. I think what will happen is that I will share the projects on here and if the person who is receiving the gift is loyal enough to me to read my blog, they will be rewarded by getting a sneak peak at their gift. I suppose I should open this up for debate then. If any family member is completely determined that their gift should be a surprise, let me know and I will not blog about it. I don't know. Can't I give my cake and blog about it too?

  
I made apple crisp the other night, which was delicious and I haven't had it in ages. Instead of crafting I have been baking a bit more, now that I have the basic flour and sugar stuff. Unfortunately, Chris doesn't really like desserts and baked goods so I have to eat this all by myself :-) I think will have some right now with vanilla ice cream, because I need more dessert on top of my dessert. Besides baking, I have been applying to UMBC. I want to get back to school and get a degree as a dental hygienist. On my sister's blog she posted her application essay and I thought it was cool. What do you think of mine?

In middle school, I was captivated by my English teacher’s stories from her time serving in the Peace Corps in the Czech Republic. Ever since, international aid has been a great interest of mine. This summer, July 2010, I experience it first hand when I joined a medical brigade in Honduras for a week. Our team was formed of both doctors and regular volunteers. Having no real medical experience beyond nursing assistant training, I worked in the dental area teaching children how to brush their teeth. It was an amazing experience, and at the same time it was heartbreaking. There was so much joy in working with the people of Honduras. They were so happy to see us and welcomed us with open arms. The hard part was looking past the smiles, and seeing all of the serious dental conditions these people were suffering from. So many people came to me pointing at back molars that were completely decayed. I had to rely on a translator to explain to them that I wasn’t a dentist and I couldn't pull their tooth, and that there was nothing I could do. I didn’t know cleaning teeth could be so emotionally difficult. I was upset that I couldn’t do more to help them. Upon returning, I immediately started looking for schools to study at to become a dental hygienist. The people in Honduras have such terrible dental conditions because they were never taught preventative care. I want to study to become a dental hygienist so that I can help people in America, and especially where it is needed the most, in third world countries. After graduating from UMBC and the University of Maryland Dental School, I hope to one day join the Peace Corps and be involved in other medical volunteer programs.  



I am pretty nervous about going back to school, and I super hate the application process, especially the prospects of trying to prove residency and financial independence. I have just been hanging out on the couch today. I am watching a neighbor's cats, one of which requires an insulin shot every 12 hours. I had two days off in a row, today and tomorrow, but can't really go anywhere, like to my sister's. It is nice to have some down time. Chris and I did go out tonight to see the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. The World which was AMAZING. I would describe myself as a giggly mess the whole movie. It made me so happy most of the movie my mouth was hanging in an open smile and I kept tapping Chris's shoulder as if that would ensure that he caught the jokes. Every once in a while I would start bouncing in the theater seat due to excess enthusiasm. It was that good. I was a giggle mess. And I am so glad that I didn't miss it, because I don't think it will be in theaters much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment